Skip to content

Comments

Please use the comment form at the bottom of this page to write a story about Loren Kellen.

The comments below are listed newest first.

43 Comments

1. Brent Harring on October 6, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Suddenly thought of Loren today. Must have been something in the sky. Couldn’t recall how long ago he left. Searched his name. Found this page, somehow for the first time. Thanks for all your posts, everyone. Ten years ago this past week. . . . Did others call him “The Commodore”, or was that just me. . . ?

2. Lisamariecarlson on September 12, 2019 at 5:21 pm

Happy this birthday to celebrate Loren’s birth. So grateful u were born. 71years ago. If you were around I’d sing and dance with you. ..not make a big deal out of your day just show love. And so I do.

I still haven’t made a minituare puppet show out of that perfect old metal stage that u had. Iit was your idea ….I’m still workin on it.

And so ten years …it’s been….since u walked aroud here in that friendly, authentic, interested, lover of the way it is right now. Whenever now is. That inspired me.

Saw a yard on mywalk home from Lake Street yest w many beings hidden in plain sight of a front yard. Saw u hiding in there. ..along w that rare sighting of albino Bengal tiger.

Miss you joe king.

Love pours.
    Summer’s last Sunday just around the corner….

Carry On. .and onanon..❤
    Lisa Marie

3. Corine Gaby on October 2, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Nobody has commented on this page in a long time but today I was thinking about my dad and came to look at all the pictures and stories etc..

4. Celia Swanson on October 31, 2013 at 11:25 am

Happy Halloween, Loren!

It has been four years (can you believe it?) since your passing. I hope you will sneak out past the gates of heaven to come join us tonight at the Barebones Halloween show. I know it was your favorite holiday, and you put so much of your love and hard work into this show for many, many years. I still remember the one in 2009, when you had only been gone for a couple of weeks, and they displayed those Styrofoam skulls you had made. Well, heck, your entire yard was basically a year-round Halloween decoration, and you had one of the best costume closets in town!

Four years has taken the edge off of the pain of loss, but you are far from forgotten. Come dance with us tonight, dear spirit!!

5. Yiscah on May 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm

We just passed the second MayDay without you. It was cold, windy and gray. Although Jemiah had led leak-plugging several weekends before, the red paint was dull on the SunLiner, and on Herald and Maude, and the escorts too. Overlooked? Forgotten? I do not know. Ryan raised noise, the way you would have wanted it. But the paint needs freshening up.

There was no rehearsal for either setup or crossing, b/c of a steady cold downpour that day. But the people still came. Sandy held an intimate and contained rehearsal in the park building gym, and Scott blew the conch as if we were coming across. Despite the lack of rehearsal, at setup on the morning of, there were rubber ties in abundance. And although uncertain and hesitant, there still was the practice of quick-release knots, preferably underneath rather than on top. The people (some who never knew you) fumbled but practiced your discipline. The ritual is fragile but persists, with both flaws and brilliance.

Crows were the theme of the ceremony and parade. Your old costumes made appearances but so many feathers were gone, with embarrassing bare black polyester beneath. Was the glue gun forgotten? Or did the world just lose its abundance of black-dyed ostrich feathers over the years? During the ceremony, Safford was a crow across the shore, but at both the rehearsal that didn’t happen, and at setup the morning of, he was present in a black wool sweater, giving the guidance that would have come from you. Maren choked and called your name

Loren. I gaze at the photos Liz Welch took of the art in the yard just days after you flew away. I laugh at their hilarity and your challenge to convention, and I cry b/c you self-destructed by refusing guidance for your magnificent energy. There was a way to integrate your spirit more smoothly into the rest of the world, to the enhancement of both. I tried, you resisted, we quarreled and left wounds. Deep regrets and deep acceptance. Tears still pierce, almost always unexpectedly. And now conversations occur at unexpected moments as well. Would that we had been able to converse then with the honest equanimity that hovers above us today. I miss you as a spear to the heart. And yet move on.

6. Yiscah on February 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Thinking of you today.

7. Yiscah on October 1, 2010 at 8:58 am

We are here Cori.

8. Cori Gaby on September 28, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I hope everyone has him in their hearts and in the their minds on Saturday. It does not seem like a year has passed but it has. I know he is still missed!

9. Cindy Weldon on March 21, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I live in Loren’s neighborhood, and only now learned of his passing. How sad to know that he will not be emerging from the neighborhood’s winter hibernation. I was so pleased to find this site where I can delight in the stories and photos. I walk by his house often on my dog-walks, and always enjoy spying the latest token placed in the yard, whether it be a plastic dinosaur, a superhero doll, or a piece of colored glass. His garden of lillies and pumpkins and corn and other beauties is always a treat. Peace be with you and those who love you.

10. lisa on March 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm

He’s still gone.

(The only poem I have been able to complete about Loren thus far.)

11. Yiscah Bracha on January 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I look at these photos and I still can’t believe that he’s gone.

12. Mark John on November 15, 2009 at 12:51 am

Road Kill. That is what was under the seat of the Incredible Hulk the day after Loren left the Circle of Water Circus tour. Loren was the mercurial driver of the old green bus that carried us down the Mississippi River valley. He designed, built and imagined large segments of the superstructure of the circus, holding it together with used bicycle inner tubes. His energy was always fully engaged and nothing was done partway. This was true the day he left the Circus. Somewhere in Northern Louisiana Loren decided that he was leaving. He gathered everything that he owned or that he had collected during our 3 and a half month tour and created a large pile. And again, fire began to consume his world. My two young sons, Nick and Finn, gathered to watch the inferno envelop Loren’s material world. The next day while cleaning out the driver’s seat, the seat where only Loren had sat, came the one item that fire had not consumed. Road Kill.

I’m sure there is a fire burning somewhere in the spirit world with Loren tending it.

Blessing Loren

13. Celia Swanson on November 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Come dance on the floor that Loren built!

It’s time once again for my annual SHAKE THE STUFFING OUT OF YOU PARTY!

When: Friday, Nov. 27 (the day after Thanksgiving), starting at around 6:30ish and going until I can’t keep my eyes open any longer.

What: I’m highlighting the dance floor that Loren built in my basement, so be sure to bring your dancing shoes and any CDs that would be fun to boogie to! I will also be displaying the photo-boards I made for Loren’s Memorial service so people can look at them more closely if they desire.

Bring: BYOB, Potluck, musical instruments for jamming, songbooks, stories of Loren to tell, etc. Feel free to bring any T-day leftovers if you want to be rid of them!

If the weather is nice, I’ll build a fire in my firepit…if anyone can bring some firewood! Loren always supplied my firewood, so I’m looking for new sources of free wood.

Where: Celia’s house
    1583 Race Street
    St. Paul 55102
    (located in the NE quadrant of the intersection of 35E and West 7th. Mapquest it!)
    (651)-224-9784

Feel free to pass this email on to others who might like to join our merry-making!

Let’s shake it all out!

14. Marie Olofsdotter on November 10, 2009 at 3:23 pm

When I think about Loren, I think about his watery blue eyes, his laughter and hearty hugs. I see him driving the green Hulk all those years ago on the Circle of Water Circus. I see him constructing the sootiest darkest pieces of the May Day Parade. I remember all those times he joined me on my walks along the Mississippi. The time he told me of his dream of the sacred snake woman, the Naga, rising out of the river.

What a way to die, Loren, on the bridge over the Mississippi, the place where the muse had appeared many years before. They say you must befriend the Naga people, the guardians of underwater treasures, if you want to create true art, that all artist must learn to traverse their dark waters. As in all things, you manifested this ability fully and brought back gem after gem. The greatest gem of all, that radiant heart of yours.

15. Mary Jo Nikolai on November 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Riding off into the Sun
    The last time I saw Loren was at ‘9 Nights of Music’ at the Minnesota History Center. It was August 18th and a group of friends were there to celebrate my husband’s (Mike Huber) 42nd birthday. Loren was dancing like a whirlwind with Lisa to the music of Yid Vicious. Later, he came up on the hillside and hung out with us. At the end of the event, he literally rode off into the sunset on his bike. Late that night Mike and I marveled about him: his agelessness; his ‘force of nature’ energy; his perfect contadictory balance of fierceness and gentleness.
    Fierce
    To know a man is to know what he loved as well as what he hated. And Loren hated squirrels. 20 years ago at a May Day workshop, my friend Scotti was making a squirrel mask. Loren saw this and had to come over and talk to us about squirrels. They were his nemeses, his life long adversaries, a personal infliction, a plaque on his house. Yet, after listening for two hours to his tirade against squirrels, I couldn’t help but notice an admiration of their resourcefulness and procreating. And as if to prove this hate/love relationship with the furry tailed rodents, at the end of our conversation he told us with we really needed to see the mummified squirrel that he found in the wall of his house.
    Gentle
    I was building puppets for Dumpster Duels and had my 1 year old daughter Johanna with me. I remember how gentle and sweet Loren was with her. Loren noticed that her hands were cold, and he found a pair of socks and put them over her hands to keep them warm. I year later, at the next DD, he lightly berated me, that he thought her socks were too tight, and he took them off her feet to let her toes wiggle free. How gentle and maternal he was.

16. N.M.Kelby on November 9, 2009 at 7:25 am

Loren was the kindest old soul I have ever known. When I worked with HOBT, he went out of his way to make me feel that I belonged. He showed me such kindness, and such a wild heart, that I will never forget him. When we all would call to the SUN! we knew the SUN was Loren.

Safe journey into the dark mystery. You will live in our hearts forever.

17. Doug Cain on November 8, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Good ol’ Loren ! A gentle yet wild soul ! I loved Nick W.’s comments, I was part of the magical Circle of Water Circus and remember Loren’s ingenuity. We became life long friends. After the Circus I helped him move four times in a row. I remember one particular bon-fire which reached the sky outside the potato cave. He had a tree house near the swamp which he gladly shared – covered appropriately by mosquito netting. What a joy, what adventure. It just kept coming. Skiing, canoeing, biking, whatever, he is so much a part of me that I am taking him with me… as are so many others who have met and been deeply impressed by Loren. For my money – Loren – You’re the Man !

18. Christopher D. Lutter-Gardella on November 8, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Loren made me feel at home, hear on Earth.

19. Nick Wroblewski on November 8, 2009 at 10:57 am

As an impressionable, young, aspiring circus performer, I witnessed Loren as the alchemical, quirky, salt of the earth fellow that he was. What a character to behold, what a bus driver, what a collector, what an affirmation that it is possible to be counter-culture in the truest sense of the word. From the depths of his “Hog Haven” lair he was the “fire master” in my ten year old eyes. So many ways to be an artist, his example was truly without limitations. I owe a great deal to his gentle encouragement and free-spirited example. I recall a late night alchemy session where he was the adult who actually allowed me to toss metal into the fire just to see it glow. I miss the Wizard of Powderhorn.

20. sandy spieler on November 8, 2009 at 9:45 am

Of course I am filled with gratitude for all the flamboyant ways Loren contributed to the work of our theatre (in the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre) for over 30 years. But what I cherish most are the many intimate conversations shared over these many years. How kind Loren was! how present to the moment.
    When my daughter Rose was born , he was one of the first to visit us. He brought Rose a beautiful hanky that had been his mother’s . It was decorated with such pretty purple flowers. How gently he held Rose!
    Loren– you! I will greatly miss you swinging me in the annual Mayday dance toward the end of the day. And you hugs , your deep enormous hugs that made me feel so alive and loved. Thank you Loren! AH!

21. Wendy Nylander on November 8, 2009 at 12:53 am

I knew Loren from Contra dancing where we would have so much fun dancing our way down the line. I also had the chance to visit his house a couple times and really see a home that was also the work of a true artist. I am sad that he is no longer with us but glad that I had the chance to know him and remember him.

22. Anne Tiller on November 5, 2009 at 9:45 am

Loren also could be called Lord of the Dance. Anyone who has danced with him can attest to his wild energy and sense of abandon. When I danced cajun or swing with Loren, when I was learning, and asked how to do the steps, he would say “just dance how you feel and let the music teach you”!

23. Carol Janeway on November 4, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Loren was my older brother who annoyed and irritated me when I was young. I watched him go off to a war which I did not understand-I just knew I got his basement bedroom when he left. I think he left a part of him behind in that room that began to have an influence on me (along with the fact that I became a teenager in 1969). As I got older I started looking up to Loren and admired his many talents. I was the one who moved around alot but always looked forward to seeing my brother when I made it back to the Twin Cities.I was anxious to learn about his newest adventure because there always was one and it was sure to be exciting. One of the most exciting adventures was when Loren asked me to be in the May Day Parade with him in about 1982. We were at the front of the parade and he had given me the honor of blowing the conche shell which was quite an accomplishment for me. It was an incredible experience and such a feeling of love and happiness from all the people around. Being with Loren was always such an adventure-I never new where he was going to take me. My brother Loren thought and lived outside the box before the saying was ever thought of. I am deeply saddened by the fact that I wasn’t a part of his life for so many years but I am very grateful for all the wonderful memories that I have of him.I am also blessed that I have been able to celebrate his life and see how his life has affected so many people.

24. Lara Norkus-Crampton on November 4, 2009 at 6:48 pm

When we bought our then trashed out house almost 20 years ago–Lauren helped us with our first project: repairing the collapsed ceiling around our fireplace. From there we hired him to help us with the extensive renovation that was necessary to make the place habitable. It was him (and This Old House) that gave me the courage and confidence that we could tackle such a big scarey project that is now our happy home.

Our village has lost one of it’s Elders…

Thanks, Loren!

25. Lynne Jeske on November 3, 2009 at 6:22 pm

My family was fortunate to have been Loren’s next door neighbor for several years. “Owen” as we called Loren, made a tremendous impact on my eldest son Michael. Owen and Michael engaged in many play dates through the years. The terms were usually mutual either Michael would sneak through the fence to get into Owen’s backyard playground or Owen would appear in our yard with the sole purpose to play. One June afternoon Owen and Michael rescued an abandoned canvas Tipi that had blown down in a storm and had be laying clumped in our yard for weeks driving Owen nuts! Not only did Owen set the poles and secure the canvas around the poles, he brought over watercolors and he and Michael proceeded to paint scenes on the tipi including a vibrant sunshine over the entrance.
    Another favorite memory is when we stopped by to visit Owen and he was sitting on his step overlooking his backyard…taking a break from designing/re-arranging his latest outdoor addition. He was just getting ready to bite into a beautiful red apple and he pulled out a shiny and sharp pocket knife carefully slicing and sharing sections of his apple with us. Such a simple gesture left my son with an impression that will last his lifetime.
    Oh yeah, then there was the very spontaneous outdoor fish fry. He heated the oil in an old rustic cast iron pan that had been hanging from a tree next to a couple of stuffed monkeys. We ate his fish and brown rice in the A-frame shelter he had built closer to the street. The shelter contained a pool of water (flowage running downhill to the mighty Mississippi) and as we ate, he held us captive in his fort telling us intensely scary stories and pulling out plastic sea creatures from the hole in the ground. We listened and laughed to our bellies hurt and grew to love Owen very much. He will always remain our friend and neighbor where ever we go, whatever we be….

26. Spruce on November 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I first met Loren dancing — it was a time when I was newly single and struggling with life. Loren reminded me that life was an adventure and a celebration, full off wonder, magic and risk. The first time I was at his house for a party my inner child just glowed. It was like stepping into another dimension. I remember opening a cupboard, looking for a cup, and the cupboard was full of plastic rats. I’m grateful to have known Loren. He showed me it is possible to fully embrace life in your own authentic way. I miss him and am grateful to have known him.

• Ketti Menne on November 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I love the statement about the plastic rats! What a guy!

27. Kurt Seaberg on October 30, 2009 at 6:15 pm

One of my earliest memories of Loren goes back to when I was just starting to participate in May Day celebrations in the mid 1980s. I was a sun runner that year, one of the lucky ones who get to come across lake Powderhorn in canoes to the thunderous roar of thousands of people. Loren had constructed a puppet, a mean looking snowman, to represent “old man Winter”. He had anchored it in the lake and intended to blow it up by firing rockets at it or something as the sun runner was making its way across the water. (“Man,” I thought to myself, “this guy’s crazy”.) He wanted it to go up in a big, glorious fireball, but unfortunately the wind was quite fierce that year- gale force as I recall- and before he could destroy his puppet the wind had already torn it to pieces. Loren’s diappointment lasted for about 5 seconds before he flashed his big smile and with a merry glint in his eye said “well, that was fun!”… My last memory of Loren occured sometime over the summer. I was riding down the greenway on my bike with a friend when I saw Loren approaching from the other direction. He was riding his peewee herman bike which had a huge paper mache head of a bull attached to the handlebars, weaving back and forth like a kid. We greeted each other as we passed and a few moments later my friend turned to me and said “who was that?”. I said that was Loren Kellen and he’s one of the many reasons why I just love Minneapolis!… Loren, you have always set an example for me, an example of just the kind of wierd, playful, mischievious, loving, child-like, ever-creative and wonderfully eccentric old man I hope to become some day. Thank you for being in the world, and thank you for having the courage to be yourself, fully and honestly…

28. Stan Kellen on October 28, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Loren and I were several years apart but still had many great times together. I was always the more serious one, but I always admired his free spirit. On of my most memorable times spent with him was several years ago sister Liz, Loren and I flew to Arizona to visit our younger sister Carol. After we spent several days with Carol, Liz flew onto California to visit a girlfriend, Loren and I toured parts of Arizona and even spent a couple nights sleeping in the rented car. We found a town in Mexico that was only about a mile into Mexico. We left the car at the border and waked into town. We spent the whole day in town and were the only two white people in town and Loren spoke enough Spanish to get us by. We had great Mexican food and had fun shopping and sight seeing. We were miles apart, but always looked forward to spending time with him at family functions.

• Janet Johnson on October 28, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Stan, Thanks for sharing your memories with Loren. It is really good to hear from family! Your brother is so very loved, he brought the best out in us and to remember his is to remember joy and feel the love he had for us. I miss him too. – Janet

29. laurel on October 27, 2009 at 9:19 pm

The first time I meet Loren at his home, I had just gotten a pretty good jolt from moving to the twin cities from the woods in rural MI and was feeling a bit overwhelmed and adrift in a foreign place. A place where it seemed the natural world was viewed as a thing to be controlled or eradicated instead of enjoyed for everything it is.
    I rode my bike to the appropriate intersection but had a hard time finding the “front” entrance (as most of you probably had). I found a likely looking set of steps in the mass of leaves and headed out of the brilliant sunlight hoping I had the right address. Hoisting my bike onto my shoulder, I ducked into the dim murky green. About halfway up the steps, as my eyes were starting to adjust, the “tree” off to my right called my name and grinned.
    It doesn’t seem like much but with that quiet gesture of introduction, I felt I had found a kindred being in Loren and the start of a wonderful friendship.
    Loren, thank you for all your wisdom, friendship, warmth, creative genius, mischievous spark, amazing energy, and for being a great dance partner! You are much loved!

30. Celia Swanson on October 22, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Calling all former clients of Loren Kellen!!

As part of the Memorial Celebration of the life of Loren Kellen, we would like to highlight his work as a carpenter. If you ever had Loren do work in your house, or if he did some sort of project for you, we’d like to hear your stories and see some pictures of the work that Loren did in his role as a gifted carpenter. We will then take these pictures and stories and put them into a display for people to see at the memorial.

If you are willing to contribute to this display of Loren’s excellent work as a carpenter, please see if you are willing to do any of the following:

1. Take digital pictures of some of the work Loren has done for you. Send them to Celia at lipshacelia@yahoo.com (preferably in jpg. format).

2. Write three or four sentences about the work, or about Loren as a carpenter.

3. If you would prefer, someone can come to your home and take pictures for you, and interview you. Let Celia know if you would like this option.

4. Think of other people you know who have had work done by Loren and pass this request along to them so we can share their pictures and stories.

I would like to get whatever you are willing to offer sometime before Nov. 2, so I have time to assemble the material.

I am also collecting and will find an “artistic” way to display any non-digital photos of Loren. If you have photos, you can scan them and send them to Nick, and/or you can give me the actual photographs for use in my displays. If the latter, please let me know if you want the pictures back (as we might want to trim or cut some photos for the display, and need to know if that’s OK).

If you have any questions or comments, do not hesitate to contact me.

Celia Swanson
    651-224-9784
    lipshacelia@yahoo.com

31. suzanne lauer on October 22, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I remember spending time with Loren about 15 years ago when my three kids were ten years old and under. Loren had a sandbox in the yard with sandbox toys which my son loved. When Loren had a birthday party HE would give things away, rather than expect presents. My son still has some original Star Wars guys from one of Loren’s parties and I showed them to Loren last year when he built a pergola for our patio. The garden reflected Loren’s unique and creative mind and his sense of joy and love of surprise.
    I am so glad to have known Loren.
    Suzanne Lauer

32. Celia Swanson on October 20, 2009 at 11:27 am

One of the (many) gifts that Loren’s way of living in the world gave to me is his ability to SEE things…not as what they conventionally ARE (a Barbie doll, a piece of broken glass, the sleeve of a sweater), but as what they COULD BE (a monster-headed tree-creature, a sparkling sun-catcher, a neck-warmer).

He transformed everything he touched.

His grass-covered lawn evolved into his own private forest (complete with strange wood-land creatures, trolls and monsters). People’s cast-off Christmas trees became land-fill to build a hill with a wandering trail in the front of his house. A city-owned corner lot covered with grass which had to be mowed became a lush, wild garden (although to be fair, it was Yiscah that made it a garden. Loren made it a jungle!). Cast-iron bundt-pans became gongs and resounding bells. Table legs became mallets; bicycles became flamingos; laundry-soap bottles became masks; left-over paving cement became sculpture; and what most of us would view as detritus–or even precious objects to be carefully saved–became part of the wild menagerie of creatures populating his yard: evolving, decaying, devolving, transforming.

He changed my world by allowing me to SEE it, not as the conventions of society saw it, but as a world which is full of potential. EVERYTHING is art. Death and decay are as beautiful as life and growth. This awareness has allowed me to mourn his passing with sorrow, yes, but also with immense joy.

33. Val and Jerry Vagts on October 19, 2009 at 11:02 pm

We moved in across the street from Loren in 2003. One sunny day shortly after we moved in Loren appeared at our doorstep…bare chested, baggy shorts, red beard and hair flowing…He told us he was having a party for his friends that night and from the looks of our car’s bumper stickers, he thought we might fit right in so we should come if we wanted. It was the beginning of a wonderful neighborship of mutual appreciation and respect. Loren added a wonderful metro glamour for these small town rural transplants. The Bedlam Theater will always conjur up a memory of Loren in the hammock, floating in the clouds!
    Our young adult children got to know Loren through our tales , at parties at our house and by working with him on projects. They were all sure he would help keep their parents young…as Loren valued many of the same activities they did,.. hilarity, dance, the May Day festivities, beauty, creativity just because.. In fact, our kids are convinced we were getting to know the peron our oldest son could be in his later life! And it was good.
    We especially remember a party in December, a couple of years ago when Loren joined us and we had three Lorens chatting it up in our diningroom…Loren our neighbor, Loren our family/a farmer in SE MN and Loren our niece’s fiance/an engineering student at the U of MN. What a sharing of perspectives of life!
    Loren, we walked your garden world on Saturday…the sun shining though the leaves,, your spots of repose protecting your house. The peace was there but you were gone…we miss you. Our neighborhood misses you. Val and Jerry

34. Nathan Anderson on October 19, 2009 at 8:22 pm

A Poem For Loren
    by Nathan Anderson

Gallant …oaks of deliberate wisdom, all quirky limbed…dropping acorns.
    Inspiring…fiery maples blazing… breathtaking…sweet sap running.
    Trixter… winds twirling soaring…freedom…wildhair …kite flying. Celebrating… every moment..people and earth moving.
    Lake Superior…sparkles magic, knowing blue eyes…playful otters.
    Love… always forward, generous, trusting, embracing, true… UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!
    Blessed is our world for Loren Kellen

35. Mark Phillips on October 19, 2009 at 9:47 am

I’m saddened to hear of Loren’s passing, which I just found out about from a friend’s email. I moved from the Twin Cities to NC about 8 years ago, but I have many fond memories of Loren from years ago, and of gatherings at his magical house and garden. I just want to let you all know that my thoughts are with the community there. Loren was, and is, a wonderful spirit, and I know he will be missed far and wide.
    –Mark

36. Anne Tiller on October 19, 2009 at 1:16 am

Loren came to my 50th birthday party, gosh, that was 10 years ago already! There were 4 guests at my party who were 50 years old, including Loren. We took a picture and Loren and I laughingly added up the total to 200 years! We had 2 centuries of years just among the 4 of us!
    That seemed incredible at the time! Of course, he gave me a chocolate bar wrapped in a black satin bow!

37. Cecilia Schiller on October 17, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I was on staff for Mayday 1985, the theme was Our House our Home with sections being all the rooms of the house and their reflections in the world. May Day arrived and as we all lined up along came Loren pulling a steaming and belching black dragon. It was the furnace in the basement. Thank you Loren, it was the perfect touch to complete the parade which up until that moment had no “evil section”.

• yiscah on October 18, 2009 at 12:20 am

Cecilia: Loren and I began our relationship in the Fall of 1986, and as we were getting to know each other, he often told the story of the furnace, so proud that he had grounded the parade that year, with the foundation of the house and the dark side. I had forgotten all about it, thanks for sharing.

38. Jeanne LaBore on October 16, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Dear Loren,
    On Monday nights
    I’ll search the crowd for you
    Where ever you are…
    Save a dance for me?

39. Lydia Olchoff on October 12, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Whenever Loren was around, suddenly I felt BEAUTIFUL!!

40. Nanci Olesen on October 11, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Loren was a radiant member of the Circle of Water Circus troupe in 1983. I remember what a good camper he was and the way he always got the fire going, and stayed the longest beside it. He helped Steve Epp and I build the deck on our house, the deck that I was looking out at the moment that Esther called me to tell me he had passed on. He always had a smile and a vigorous hug for me and my kids and Steve, each year when we tromped over to HOBT to build our masks and puppets for May Day. And for 18 years when I was the narrator on stilts, I had the best seat in the house, along with Jim Ouray, to watch Loren and all the sun flotilla people come across the lake at Powderhorn. I can hear the whooping now, as we all turn to shout “We call to the SUN!” Thank you Loren for all the love you shared. You were an inspiring and radiant being. You will be missed and loved always.

Nanci Olesen (Steve Epp, Henry, Nora and Lene Epp)